Funded through the generosity of Ron Coury and Don Tamburro, the LVMPD Foundation will once again offer scholarships to the children of Commissioned Police and Corrections Officers of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. Mr. Coury and Mr. Tamburro will donate $50,000 this year in memory of Officers Beck and Soldo and in gratitude for their ultimate sacrifice as well as for the daily efforts of all LVMPD officers to protect and serve our community. This year, the Foundation will award ten scholarships of $5,000 each to qualifying college or vocational school-bound children of the LVMPD family. These scholarship funds are earmarked to offset the costs of the students’ tuition, fees, and books related to their college or vocational education.
- Applicant must be the birth, step, or legally adopted child of an active duty, commissioned officer of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department at the time of submission of the application.
- Applicant must enroll for a minimum of twelve (12) credits in an accredited college or university (or for a full curriculum in an accredited vocational training program) within one year of high school graduation date. Online educational programs do not qualify if the online curriculum exceeds 25% of the twelve (12) credits or the full vocational curriculum requirement. Verification of enrollment (class schedule) will be required before the check is mailed to each scholarship recipient.
- Applicant must have a cumulative 3.0 or higher grade point average through the time of submission of the application. A rounded or weighted GPA will not be accepted.
Materials Required from the Applicant
- A certified copy of your official high school, vocational school, or college transcript, including a GPA summary.
- A letter (maximum of two typewritten pages, double spaced) from and signed by you to the Scholarship Selection Committee in which you explain how being part of the family of an LVMPD officer has helped shape your life, what your future goals are, and how you describe the concept of service to others (best applicants will describe how they have served others or have been part of programs focused on serving others).
- The letter must contain the following information: applicant name, LVMPD officer name, home address, phone number, and email address.
All applicant materials must be sent as a PDF to email@example.com, and received by 11:59 pm on April 15, 2019. Strict adherence to all guidelines is urged for optimal Scholarship Selection Committee consideration.
Please direct questions, including about how to submit an application if you do not have access to email, to Melissa Martin at (702) 983-7369. To provide additional support for the scholarship program so that even more deserving students of LVMPD officers may receive scholarships, please contact Tom Kovach at (702) 882-6886 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Now accepting applications for the 2019 Memorial Scholarship. Please click here for details.