Funded through the generosity of Ron Coury and Don Tamburro, the LVMPD Foundation will once again offer scholarships to the children of Commissioned Police and Corrections Officers of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. Mr. Coury and Mr. Tamburro will donate $50,000 this year in memory of Officers Beck and Soldo and in gratitude for their ultimate sacrifice as well as for the daily efforts of all LVMPD officers to protect and serve our community. This year, the Foundation will award ten scholarships of $5,000 each to qualifying college or vocational school-bound children of the LVMPD family. These scholarship funds are earmarked to offset the costs of the students’ tuition, fees, and books related to their college or vocational education.
Now accepting applications for the 2020 Memorial Scholarship. Please click here for details.
- Applicant must be birth, step, or legally adopted child of an active duty, commissioned officer of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department at the time of submission of the application.
- Applicant must enroll for a minimum of twelve (12) credits in an accredited college or university (or for a full curriculum in an accredited vocational training program) within one year of school graduation date. Online educational programs do not qualify if the online curriculum exceeds 25% of the twelve (12) credits or the full vocational curriculum requirement.
- Applicant must have a cumulative 3.0 or higher-grade point average through the time of submission of the application. A rounded or weighted GPA will not be accepted. Applicants are responsible for gathering and submitting all necessary information.
Materials Required from the Applicant
- A certified copy of your official high school, vocational school, or college transcript, including a GPA summary. Online transcripts must display student name, school name, grade and credit hours earned for each course, and term in which each course was taken.
- A letter (maximum of two typewritten pages, double spaced) from applicant and signed by applicant addressed to the Scholarship Selection Committee. The letter should explain how being part of the family of an LVMPD officer has helped shape your life, what your future goals are, and how you describe the concept of service to others (best applicants will describe how they have served others or have been part of programs focused on serving others).
- The letter must contain applicant’s name, LVMPD officer name, home address, phone number and email address.
Applications are evaluated on the information supplied; therefore, answer all questions as completely as possible. Incomplete applications will not be evaluated. All information received is considered confidential and is reviewed only by LVMPD Foundation and the Scholarship Selection Committee Members.
All applicants must submit materials in PDF format via email to Scholarship@lvmpdfoundation.org, and received by 11:59 PM PST on April, 15, 2020. Applicants will receive acknowledgment of receipt of their application, via email.
Questions regarding the scholarship program should be addressed to:
LVMPD Foundation Scholarship Program
7175 Bermuda Road, Las Vegas NV 89119