Application Period Opens February 1, 2021
Funded through the generosity of Ron Coury and Don Tamburro, for the sixth year in a row, the LVMPD Foundation is proud to offer college scholarships to students in our LVMPD family, in memory of fallen Officers Alyn Beck and Igor Soldo. Ron Coury and Don Tamburro will donate $50,000 in memory of Officers Beck & Soldo as well as the daily efforts of all LVMPD officers who protect and serve our community. The scholarship fund will assist students of Commissioned Police and Corrections Officers of LVMPD who plan to continue college or vocational school programs.
College or vocational school-bound students of Commissioned Police and Corrections Officers of LVMPD.
A total of ten (10) $5,000 scholarships will award qualifying college or vocational school-bound children of the LVMPD family to offset the costs of the student’s tuition fees and books related to their college or vocational education.
The DEADLINE for submission of your application is 11:59 PM PST on April 15, 2021.
1. Applicant must be a birth, step, or legally adopted child of active duty, commissioned officer of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department at the time of applying.
2. Applicant must enroll for a minimum of twelve (12) credits in an accredited college or university (or for a full curriculum in an accredited vocational training program) within one year of school graduation date. Online educational programs do not qualify if the online curriculum exceeds 25% of the twelve (12) credits or the full vocational curriculum requirement.
3. Applicant must have a cumulative 3.0 or higher-grade point average through applying. A rounded or weighted GPA will not be accepted. Applicants are responsible for gathering and submitting all necessary information. Applications are evaluated on the information supplied; therefore, answer all questions as completely as possible. Incomplete applications will not be evaluated. All information received is considered confidential and is reviewed only by the LVMPD Foundation and the Scholarship Selection Committee Members.
4. Applicant must submit the following documents:
a. A certified copy of your official high school, vocational school, or college transcript, including a GPA summary. Online transcripts must display student name, school name, grade, credit hours earned for each course, and term in which each course was taken.
b. A letter (maximum of two typewritten pages, double spaced) from the applicant and signed by the applicant addressed to the Scholarship Selection Committee. The letter should explain how being part of the family of an LVMPD officer has helped shape your life, what your future goals are, and how you describe the concept of service to others (best applicants will describe how they have served others or have been part of programs focused on serving others).
c. The letter must contain the applicant’s name, LVMPD officer name, home address, phone number, and email address.
5. Applicant must submit materials in PDF format via email to Scholarship@lvmpdfoundation.org and received them by 11:59 PM PST on April 15, 2021. Applicants will receive acknowledgment of receipt of their application via email.
SELECTION OF RECIPIENTS
The Scholarship Selection Committee will review all applications. Scholarship applicants are urged to adhere strictly to all guidelines in application requirements. Failure to follow requirements will disqualify the application. Applications are evaluated on the information supplied; therefore, answer all questions as completely as possible. Incomplete applications will not be evaluated.
PAYMENT OF SCHOLARSHIPS
LVMPD Foundation processes scholarship payments on behalf of the 2021 Alyn Beck & Igor Soldo Memorial Scholarship Fund. Payments are made in one installment of $5,000. Verification of enrollment (class schedule) will be required before the check is issued to each scholarship recipient.
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Foundation reserves the right to review this scholarship program’s conditions and procedures and make changes at any time, including the program’s termination.
Questions regarding the scholarship program should be addressed to:
LVMPD Foundation Scholarship Program
7175 Bermuda Road, Las Vegas NV 89119
or via email to Scholarship@LVMPDFoundation.org